Monday, July 23, 2012

An adventurer is me.


My sister and I went on a little adventure yesterday, took a little trip to Vernonia Lake Park, site of the former Oregon-American Lumber Company.  I've been wanting to check this place out for a couple of years now because I knew there was an old building covered in graffiti on the site.

It was a bit of a drive but totally worth it. I had been expecting something like the Blair Witch Project, but the site is actually a park now with a bike trail going all around the mill pond (Vernonia Lake). There are even picnic tables and a couple of grills.  You could see one of the old buildings from the parking lot, west of the lake. It was a short walk and soon I was standing inside the old fuel shed.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

I was in Goonie (not to mention photographer) heaven. My sister and I walked around and took pictures of graffiti for a while, and a teenage couple came in and walked around. They climbed up in one of the windows and asked me to take their picture.  The guy said, "Mine isn't as good as yours, though." Hee.  I had both of my Nikkormats and my stupid digital with me. 

Untitled


I climbed up in the window after they left and my sister took my picture.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

hands on

I really wanted to see the old refuse burner because there's a tunnel underneath it, and the toppled cyclone blower, but everything was covered in brambles and I'm not even sure if they're still there. I'm definitely going to look again this winter. 

reloading

I had a good time prowling the grounds and climbing around everything. Took over two rolls of film, and I can't wait to get them developed.

I love old, abandoned stuff. I wish there was more of it around here. 

No comments: