Friday, March 12, 2010

Confutatis maledictis, voca me cum benedictis.

Yesterday, I took my sister to see The Boondock Saints on the big screen. It got a very, very limited release (five theaters) ten years ago. I saw it in 2000 when I was in Florida with my ma. I rented it, on VHS, at Blockbuster and it quickly became one of my favorite movies ever.

Anyway, they re-released it (one night only) for the 10th anniversary, and I made damn sure my sister and I had tickets.



It was playing in two theaters: one in Portland, one in Beaverton. I chose the Beaverton one (though I hate Beaverton with the white hot fire of a thousand suns) because I figured it would be less crowded. When we got there, the place was packed.

It was a great crowd, though. Seemed like there were a lot of fans there, quoting the movie and cheering in all the right spots. The sound went out right before the weapons scene and almost immediately, a guy yelled out, “I’ll have a Coke, then.” I guess you had to have been there (and also seen the movie); it was pretty damn funny. Then people kept yelling out, “Get some rope!” Heh.

After the end credits, they ran a retrospective with interviews and clips/behind the scenes from the sequel. It was interesting, but mostly blah. I think a lot of that has to do with Julie Benz and Clifton Collins Jr. or whoever the fuck he is. I haven’t seen the sequel yet and it has everything to do with them. I’d never seen or heard of Junior before this movie, but I’ve seen Benz in a few things and I fucking hate her. Not her personally; I’m sure she’s nice and all. I just can’t fucking stand her as an “actor.” She sucks out loud. She sucked in her one episode of Supernatural, she sucked in whatever Buffy episodes she was in (I fucking hate that show, too. I watched most of the first season because a couple of friends asked me to give it a chance; I’m still itchy from it.), but she wasn’t half bad in Dexter.

From what I’ve seen of the trailer, it seems like they brought in Benz and Junior to replace Smecker and Rocco, which ... no. Add characters for their own sake, not because you want to the sequel to match the first movie ALMOST EXACTLY. It’s fucking stupid.

I’m still going to watch the sequel someday. I’ll probably have to eat a bunch of Tums beforehand.

The interviews were mostly good, pretty much just most of the guys sitting around, drinking beer and talking about the movies. I was disappointed not to see Detective Alapopskalius.

More to say, no time to say it. Deja vu? I still have to write about 3D black light pirate mini golf, don’t I?

Tomorrow, hopefully, I'll be seeing K.M.R.I.A. Right now, I've got to see someone about a five dollar haircut. Though I like having my hair long again, it's been over a year since I've had it cut, and I'm starting to look a bit homeless.

No comments: